Saturday 5 August 2017

Of the 2 prongs, the biggest challenge (to me) is the body want to maintain the weight set point.

Of the 2 prongs, the biggest challenge (to me) is the body want to maintain the weight set point.

Prong 1 - imbalance in calories consumed and calories used
Prong 2 - the body has a weight set point it works very hard to sustain

Once weight is gained and the body resets its set point. (Seems like at the drop of a hat really) In order to have good information to base recommendations, there has to be a better way to track food metabolism. Biomarkers and urine seem the most user friendly. Obesity is a problem simply because of increased risk in medical issues.

From personal experience, I've had to stabilize weight then be very consistent in the lower weight until a new set point is created. I never expect to lose weight through diet alone; I lower calories and exercise hard. I'm not sure how that's going to work now that I'm older and my ankle makes it hard to implement higher impact workouts. It's taken 4 years for my crap eating habits to return after my accident and in the interim I've over developed my sweet tooth. Now we're both working on upping our protein intake and making sure any snacks are nutritionally dense.


http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4235262

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you are working on good eating habits and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately my exercise has really fallen away. I don't know if it's because my ankle is bugging me of if my ankle is bugging me because I'm not exercising enough. It's dispiriting how easy it is to fall out of the workout habit. Come fall, Saturday classes will be back and I may be able to change my work hours a little to hit a morning class once a week to add to the 3 evening classes I usually get to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The US Army did a job on my ankles and wrists. I took to bicycling and a rowing machine: less impact load on already-damaged joints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like a good rowing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm finding that my Yoga needs to be done carefully, to avoid soreness. I must deviate from the specifics at some points, which they are fine with.

    ReplyDelete