Saturday 26 May 2018

Menopause is a weird time when women are supposed to mourn ... something, I guess. Here is how one woman dealt with it.

Menopause is a weird time when women are supposed to mourn ... something, I guess. Here is how one woman dealt with it.

Perhaps because I've never had children and went through menopause in my early 40s I escaped the emotional trauma that is menopause for some women. I thought of it more along the lines of returning to the freedom I had before puberty. The women I talk to now about it mostly joke about hot flashes - whereupon I pull out the advice I got from my doctor to get a low dose blood pressure medication to take at night. I probably didn't seem any more irritable than I had been because I've always been impatient (mostly with myself).
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/first-person/article-in-the-midst-of-a-midlife-crisis-i-had-to-clean-house-to-clear-my

12 comments:

  1. I am so ready to be done with the messy trappings of a fertility I never asked for in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great. After a few years you can wear long sleeves again😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sailed right through, no troubles. Didn't get this when I was 40 tho, had to wait a bit longer. Love it.

    (That 10lbs tho...she's not kidding.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had mostly hot flashes - but no weight gain. I'm less that I was in jr. high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose I lack the credentials to contribute to this discussion, except to say there is supposed to be such a thing as “male menopause.” Or as Edith Bunker wondered, should we say men go through “womenopause?”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, I believe the independence and self-respect women have gained— and the openness in discussing sexual matters — have enabled women to experience menopause with a strong outlook. It is not stigmatized as becoming “used up” any more, since reproduction isn’t seen as a woman’s defining purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian Arbenz I hope you're right about the outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian Arbenz I expect that "human" is all it really takes to recognize that there are transitions with aging.

    I'm past 50, still eagerly awaiting menopause, but all the other depressing midlife questions (regardless of gender), like "what the hell have I accomplished, have I gone in the right direction, what's next..." have been arriving with a vengeance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And... the article's advice is good under any circumstances.

    I was feeling cranky, got off the couch, replaced the annoying light fixture in the laundry room, and now feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes minor maintenance is just what we need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've been culling, cleaning and refreshing our home in preparation for moving after retirement (which is now) Just the activity of doing the prep makes is easier to move to the next stage whether we relocate or not. It can be hard to redefine your self image.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have found precisely that — making simple needed improvements that I can make gives me a feeling of accomplishment that is stronger than feelings of unfulfillment over old goals that may not have been achieved.

    ReplyDelete